FreshNewTracks 13 EDM Artists to Watch in 2013
Posted by Middy on January 18, 2013
The New Year has come and gone and we have recapped the madness of 2012, so now it is time to look ahead to 2013. Two music mondays have passed, so we have had a small taste of what to expect from this fresh year, but we are here to steer your wayward watches towards 13 bright stars who are going to be making some serious noise in 2013. These are in no particular order.
1. Kill Paris – Kill Paris has already started his road to fame. In the past 6 months his popularity has absolutely exploded. His funky and smooth Dubstep originals and remixs are almost too awesome for mortal ears. Three months ago he had even been given the opportunity to do a remix for OWSLA with Dillion Francis, which may not be the last we see him do with the label. Free release after free release, there seems to be nothing in his way when it comes to making fans. There is no doubt that he will continue up this road for 2013.
2. Fehrplay – The Pryda Friends protégé has already started to make some noise in 2013 with his release “I Can’t Stop It“, garnering support from Above & Beyond, Pete Tong and of course Eric Prydz himself. He has steadily grown into his unique progressive, melodic sound and with a few more releases under his belt should become a staple on Pryda Friends.
3. Henrix – The Miami product is set to take 2013 by storm. With his percussion heavy sound tailor made for largest of arenas, he has fallen into the waiting arms of Steve Angello and the Size crew. With his single, “Hit It” with GTA & Digital Lab on Size set to release very soon, a collab “Jumangee” with Size Records duo Wayne & Woods in the works, his collab with Jakob Liedholm & Zashanell “Close Your Eyes” seeing its release soon & another with him on the way, as well as a few other unnamed collabs, Henrix is setting himself up to have a monster 2013.
4. Syn Cole – With his remix of “Silhouettes”, Syn Cole announced himself to the world and put himself right into the crosshairs of Avicii, Ash and the rest of At Night Management. His upcoming single “April” set to release at the end of the month on the 31st as well as “Miami 82” and a collab with Lazy Rich, should be just the beginning of a breakout year for the Estonian.
5. Jakob Liedhom – Even with his recent rather immature outbursts on Facebook recently, at 16 years old, there is no denying the talent in this kid. He has already released a track with Tim Norell “Club Lights” and with 2 collabs on the way with Henrix, Vida, and a host of other unreleased IDs in store, the once ID remaker is ready to take that next step and have a huge year.
6. Audien – The recently turning 21 year old American producer exploded onto the scene last year with his “Eventide / Unity” EP on Anjunabeats and from that started touring the US rather extensively. He has forged on into 2013 with his all genre encompassing sound, as seen with “Sup” and released the heavenly “Wayfarer” to high acclaim. The sky is the limit for such a bright and talented individual.
7. Vicetone – Though this may seem like an obvious choice for our readers who have seen their rise from a little known Dutch duo to one with 60k+ Facebook fans, releases on Universal and Monstercat, support from Nicky Romero, Hardwell, Felix Cartel, Nari & Milani, Paris & Simo, Starkillers and more. They have done all of this without even touring. You can expect that all to change in 2013 with an even bigger year from Vicetone including collabs with Collin Mcloughlin & Paris & Simo, as well as touring.
8. Mikkas – The 26 year old Dannish producer has been producing since he was 12 years old, however he did not see the rapid ascent to the top that we see nowadays from some artists. After his remix of “Unison” last year and his remix of Emma Hewitt’s “Rewind” staying at Beatport trance number one for 40 days, he made his statement that he was an artist to be reckoned with. With his single “Finally” with Amba Shepherd set to release on Tuesday and already gaining support from the biggest names in the business, the name Mikkas will be one to keep your eyes on.
9. Clockwork / RL Grime – Is it cheating if it is two people in one? Well Clockwork and his trap alias, RL Grime, have already had an enormous 2012, notably on the remix front with the RL Grime remixes of “Mercy” & “Satisfaction” bringing trap to sets of those you never thought would even think to play trap. It is hard to imagine with trap only getting bigger and the 21 year old American becoming a hotter commodity for remixes and shows, for him not to have an even bigger year.
10. Andrew Rayel – The Moldovan trance producer put his name on the map with two big tracks this past year, first “Aeon Of Revenge” and then “How Do I Know“, a track that got an Armin intro edit and was one of his top 20 tracks of the year. With several remixes in the wings and big gigs set up for the early part of the year including a few stops on the ASOT 600 circuit, Andrew Rayel is sure to be a name to watch in the fleet of Armada’s young talent.
11. Haywyre – Martin Vogt, aka Haywyre, is one of the most interesting up and coming Dubstep and glitch-hop producers. Having studied piano and composition since age 6, Haywyre grew up interested in producing hip-hop and jazz. In the past 2 years he has incorporated those styles into his dubstep and glitch-hop releases, which are about 7 different EPs and LPs now. For this year he has set up a track a week with Caliber Records. Some tracks will be single releases, others as part of upcoming EPs and LPs, and a few treats that will stay unreleased. Haywyre has shown that he is a producer at a level greater than many around him by topping the dubstep and glitch-hop charts many different times in the past year. With all his planned releases looming, 2013 may be where he truly grows into a household name.
12. Protoculture – The South African trance producer is a name familiar to many trance lovers, especially after the year he had in 2012 that included remixing Armin van Buuren’s “J’ai Envie de Toi” and his massive release “Perpetual Motion” that was supported by all the big trance Djs. However his 2013 should be even bigger. Back at home at the moment working on an album, he is getting ready to become part of the ASOT 600 circuit in Mexico and though you will have to wait until then, he has loads of new music ready to release.
13. Audrio – Here is the flyer of the group. A fresh face on scene, also in the Le7els stable with Syn Cole, Audrio, formerly known as Adstedt, has released a song here and a song there, like his remix of Medina’s “Addiction” back in 2011, but never was able to break out. HIs breakout 2013 really depends on whether or not he can release some of the stuff he is able to produce, notably “Humans“, a track that has been “coming soon” since October. With a solid contribution to the “I Can’t Be The One” package, be on the look out for this guy.
Tags: 2012, Andrew Rayel, Audien, Baauer, Collin Mcloughlin Ilan, Fehrplay, Felix Cartel, First State Ilan, Glitch Hop, Henrix, Jakob Liedhom, Kill Paris, melodic, Mikkas Chris, music, Nari Milani, Nicky Ro Ilan, Nicky Romero Ilan, Pete Tong, producer, remix, song, sound, support, Syn Cole, time, track, trap, Vicetone, Vicetone Ilan, Vicetone Though, we are